Ludshott Common, after having been requisitioned by the Army, reverted to the Trust following World War II, in 1945.
However, this excepted Superior Camp which has a history of its own.
Foundations of buildings
Canadian Royal Engineers began to construct Superior Camp on the eastern boundary of Ludshott Common, in 1941, as one of a group in the area including the site of the Heatherlands Estate in Headley Down and on Bramshott Common. The buildings were generally constructed between the remaining concrete track and the boundary of Yaffles’ garden, but the parade ground was nearer to Grayshott Hall and its position can be seen by the surviving clearing in woods. Further down the hillside was the essential sewage works which are still marked by a flourishing crop of nettles, and the protective banks for the rifle range still exist on the open common.
Remains of the rifle range
At the end of the War, the Camp was used to house soldiers about to return to Canada, so it was not vacated until 1946, and was then briefly occupied by squatters. However Petersfield Rural District Council wanted to use it for emergency housing so, despite objections from the National Trust, the land remained requisitioned and the army huts were converted for residential use.
By 1948 there were 140 dwellings, and it was ten years before the residents started to move out. It was not until 1962 that the Camp was fully vacated and 1964 before the final demolition was complete. As part of the compensation agreement with the Ministry of Housing, 2,500 sapling trees were planted in the area of the camp although, unfortunately, most of them were eaten by rabbits. Natural regeneration has restored the woodland over the past 40 years, but many of the 1950’s garden plants and hedgerow shrubs are still flourishing. Details of latest events, maps etc can be found on other pages